South by Southwest Interactive (SXSW) 2012 is right around the corner, scheduled to take place in Austin, Texas March 9-13. If you’re an author and have never heard of “South by,” you may want to check out the following blog post by Evo Terra entitled “7 tips for authors attending SXSW 2012.” [POST REMOVED BY AUTHOR] Evo manages to give a great overview of the festival with tips catering specifically to authors. Even though SXSW is not a publishing conference, Evo correctly points out that our “world is changing faster than you imagine,” and SXSW is a great way to “forward your knowledge and expertise in the interactive world.”
As we all know, electronic marketing tools such as social media are very important to authors looking to promote their work. Among other things, SXSW offers you the ability to learn from interactive industry leaders who work on the cutting edge of digital technology.
So whether you’re planning to attend this year or not, to add to Evo’s blog post, I have outlined below some of 2012’s SXSW Interactive panel discussions that are geared specifically to authors and publishers. The list below may help you save time as you plan your schedule. If you are not planning on going, hopefully, these panels will inspire you to get your late registration in … at the very least, these can help get you excited for next year.
- Discoverability and the New World of Book PR
- Publishing Models Transforming the Book
- Libros digitales para todos/eBooks for Everybody
- Rhapsody to Year 0: Music & Publishing Go Digital
- Take a Look It’s in a Book or Now Tablet Devices
- Self-Publishing: A Revolution for Midlist Authors?
- Social Role-Playing: Brands and Publishers
- Knitting a Long Tail in Niche Publishing
- Making eBooks Smarter: Responsive Page Design
- Books Win the Attention Economy
- Next Stage: Tear It Up: How to Write a Digital Novel
Gavin Jocius writes for the Lulu Blog – Archived