Crowdfunding, not only presents a unique opportunity for authors to raise funds for their projects, it also can help to collect preorders, market your book before publication, and build and engage with your audience. Even if you may not need money for publishing, a crowdfunding campaign may be a beneficial option for you.
Why crowdfund your book?
- Raise funds. One of the most obvious benefits of crowdfunding is that it allows authors to raise funds for their publishing costs. Producing a quality book is essential to stand out in the book market, but can get pricey. Crowdfunding helps authors to mitigate the financial risk and burden of publishing.
- Collect preorders. Reward based crowdfunding allows authors to create rewards that supporters receive in return for their financial pledge. The most obvious reward is, of course, the author’s upcoming book. The reward model gives authors the opportunity to collect preorders from a broad network. Who doesn’t want to start selling books before publication?
- Drive traffic to your book before publication. Marketing efforts need to start well before a manuscript is published, but it’s difficult to talk about a book that hasn’t come out yet. A crowdfunding campaign provides authors with a landing page to drive traffic to that encapsulates them as an author and their upcoming book. Marketing before publication just became easier.
- Build a lasting connection with your readers. Authors are often left in the dark as to who actually purchases their book when it’s bought on popular marketplaces. With a crowdfunding campaign, authors have complete access to their supporters. Every successful campaign receives advanced market analytics to better understand their audience. Additionally, campaign supporters have more access to authors with the ability to provide feedback and build buzz around the book that can be used for future promotional efforts.
- Share readership with other Lulu writers. Your campaign will gain visibility to other Lulu writers and their readers. As the Lulu.com community grows, so will the number of possible supporters for your campaign.
- Continuous discoverability. Successful campaigns will live forever on Pubslush and the Lulu Partner Page. Once an author publishes, they can add the links to where their book is being sold to their project page. This will continue to drive traffic to the sales of their book post-campaign.
- Risk free. There’s no fee to start a campaign. Pubslush only takes a 4% platform fee at the end of every successful campaign. This process is completely contract free J
- Personalized Service. The Pubslush team provides personalized service to all authors on Lulu.com’s Crowdfunding Page. Have the power of the pros on your side for your crowdfunding campaign.
Meg Crawford writes for the Lulu Blog – Archived