In previous articles, we have discussed the two the key components of marketing your book (knowing your audience and knowing your book). Now we can talk about how to drive sales through the use of marketing tactics, which is a fancy way of saying that people need to be able to find you and your book on the internet.
We asked 4000 of our bestselling authors about their most effective methods of reaching their audience and encouraging book purchases.
These authors credited their website with the lion’s share of their sales. When you combine the website-related responses with “email list” and “search engines,” you see that almost half of an author’s traffic and sells can be credited to their website(s).
To further highlight this finding, think about your own behavior. What’s the first thing you do online when you want to learn, do, or purchase something? You search for it. Then you browse the websites listed on the search results page. If you’ve ever searched for a company, person or event online and been unable to find any information, you probably gave up or got distracted by other things. From your own experience it is easy to see that the harder you are to find, the less likely you are to sell your books. Hence the importance of having a website to market your books.
In addition to websites, authors also mentioned social media as a tool for generating sales. Of all the available social media marketing techniques, having a Facebook page was overwhelmingly the most often cited way to sell books. We saw similar results earlier in our discussion of distribution strategies.
- Create a website for your book using a simple tool like WordPress.com.
- Make it easy for people to sign up for your mailing list with a free service like Mailchimp.com.
- Create a Facebook page dedicated to your books: https://www.facebook.com/about/pages.
- Write regular blog posts for your website and when possible on other sites as a guest poster.
- Find events where you can speak or share your knowledge with an audience interested in your topic.
- Improve the visibility of your website, either through advertising or search engine optimization.
- Send free promotional copies of your book to influential people, such as bloggers in your niche or book reviewers.
Bestselling independent authors employ a mix of tactics to promote themselves and their work.
Writer extraordinaire and generally amazing guy, Glenn makes sure that every day is the best day ever.