This year, Lulu wants you to win the trophy for the best holiday gift.
I know, I know. I hear you wailing, “One holiday at a time. it’s not even Halloween yet.” I’m with you. Nothing ruins September like walking into a store that is already decked out for Christmas. But, if you want to win that trophy and make everyone green with envy, you need to prepare now.
Let’s start by thinking about what makes a winning holiday gift. Maybe your Christmas morning is like a day on the Oprah set, “You get a new car. You get a new car. Everybody gets a new car!” If so, you have already won.
If not, think about the gifts you have received in the past. Which gifts were most memorable? You would probably remember a free car, but you are also likely to remember gifts that were personal, showed a level of thoughtfulness, effort, and originality.
Here are a few gift ideas that are sure to win you the best gift trophy:
- Create a personalized friend and family calendar featuring pictures from the past year.
- Print a cookbook featuring your family’s favorite recipes. Include some stories about where the recipes come from and why they are favorites.
- Help grandpa publish his memoir. Print copies and ask him to sign them for family members.
- Download your family history from Ancestry.com and print copies for the family.
- Ask your children to write and illustrate a story. Then scan the pages and create a book to give as gifts for grandparents, aunts, and uncles.
- Remember those old love letters in the back of your closet? Create a photo book pairing the letters with pictures from your relationship.
- Create a travel log from this year’s adventures.
These will all make treasured gifts, unlike the ugly sweater you will only wear when Aunt Martha visits. These ideas will all take a bit of planning and effort; however, it will all be worth it when you take home the best gift trophy for 2016.
Over the next several weeks we will discuss how to create these winning gifts. If you have additional ideas, share them in the comments below.
Now get back to enjoying your September.
Writer extraordinaire and generally amazing guy, Glenn makes sure that every day is the best day ever.