Lulu is proud to sponsor the Brighton Festival’s world premier the Storytelling Army! To celebrate, Lulu and Brighton Festival are running a writing competition to reward four lucky authors!
Brighton Festival is working with Nabokov theatre company and Guest Director Kate Tempest to assemble a Storytelling Army. This dynamic collective of people from all walks of life includes the homeless and vulnerably housed.
The competition is open to Sussex residents and you must be 18 or over to enter. The theme of the writing submission must be the ‘Everyday Epic’. Each one of us has a story to tell: extraordinary moments amongst the ordinary, the little victories against the odds.
About Brighton Festival
The largest and most established annual curated multi-arts festival in England, Brighton Festival is a celebration of music, theatre, dance, circus, art, film, literature, debate, outdoor and family events – taking place in venues both familiar and unusual across Brighton & Hove for three weeks every May. Since 2009 Brighton Festival has attracted inspiring and internationally significant Guest Directors who bring cohesion to the artistic programme including visual artist Anish Kapoor (2009), musician Brian Eno (2010), poet, author and former Children’s Laureate Michael Rosen (2013), and pioneering artist and musician Laurie Anderson (2016). This year’s Guest Director is the acclaimed recording artist, poet, playwright, and novelist Kate Tempest.
The competition is officially open on 31 March 2017. Details on how to enter will be posted on this blog together with, entry terms and conditions, profiles of the judges and extracts of some of the shortlisted stories.
Four entries will win the competition. We’ll complement the winners with four additional stories from members of the Storytelling Army. We’ll publish the eight stories as an anthology.
Submission Opening and Closing Date
The competition opens on Friday 31st March 2017. All entries must be received electronically by midnight GMT 24th MAY 2017.
Terms and Conditions
- Entry is free.
- The competition is open to writers who are Sussex residents.
- There is no obligation to purchase any Lulu.com product to enter this competition.
- The theme of entries should be ‘Everyday Epic’.
- Your entry must be no more than 4,000 words, no minimum word count.
- The title does not count as part of the word count.
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
- Your entry must be previously unpublished.
- You must be 18 years or over to participate.
- By entering the competition you agree to be published if you are selected as a winner.
- All entries must be typed and supplied electronically. No hand-written entries will be accepted.
- Your entry must be submitted electronically as a word or pdf document and the document must contain: your name, your address, your age, your e mail contact details, the title of your submission, the word count, your twitter handle (if relevant).
- It is preferred that all entries are written in English, however we will accept a non-English entry providing an English translation is also submitted with it.
- Once an entry has been submitted it cannot be withdrawn.
- This prize is not transferable.
- Entries cannot be returned so please keep a copy.
- Late entries will not be considered.
- It is not possible to confirm receipt of entry by phone or email.
- We will only contact the entrants who have won.
- Winners and extracts of their stories will be communicated via our website and social media pages.
- If you do not hear from us your submission has been unsuccessful.
- If you are successful, in entering the competition you agree to our publishing terms and conditions which can be viewed at http://www.lulu.com/about/legal
- Copies of the anthology will be published and made available for sale. Lulu pays 80% net royalties (net is the amount left after retailer discount) which is the highest in the industry. As this is an anthology royalties are to be shared 50% to the Storytelling Army and 30% shared between the 4 non-Storytelling Army winners.
- Final cover design is to be decided by Brighton Festival and nabokov.
Address for entries:
- All entries should be electronic and emailed to email@example.com
- Entries will only be accepted if submitted as an electronic version to the entry address provided.
- If you are unable to email your entry then you can copy it onto a CD and post to the address below on condition that they are received by the closing date and only CD’s are sent. No CD’s can be returned and we take no responsibility for any lost in the post.
- Address for CD submission: Lulu.com, Workshops 1 &2, Park Farm, Paulerspury, Towcester, Northants, NN12 7NG
The judges decision is final, judges are unable to comment on individual entries, judging is fair and unbiased and experienced readers assist in helping the judges select the winners. Profiles of the judges will be posted on this blog.
Brighton Festival Marketing
- Copyright of each entry remains with the author but in entering the competition the author agrees that Lulu.com, Brighton Festival and nabokov will have the unrestricted right to publish the winning pieces (including any shortlisted entries) in relevant promotional material in print or online.
- Submission of an entry implies the winners give agreement to be photographed and will take part in any marketing and publicity opportunities (print, social, or as otherwise required in the promotion of the event and the anthology) connected with this competition carried about by Lulu.com, Brighton Festival or nabokov.
- Lulu.com will hold your contact address in our systems to contact you with regard to any future writing competitions we feel may be of interest to you unless you contact us to opt out. If you do not wish us to contact you for future events and competitions please make this clear on your competition submission.
Submission of your entry implies acceptance of these competition terms and conditions.
Since 2002, Lulu has powered the knowledge-sharing economy by enabling creators in more than 225 countries and territories to publish over 2 million books. Lulu’s industry-leading tools and global network of print facilities provide creators with the resources to succeed on their terms.