Being a self-published author is a bit like being Santa but without any elves. In some ways this is great; you get to make all the decisions and things get done the way you want them to be done. On the other hand, you have to make all the decisions and things don’t get done until you do them. To help you with this monumental task, we’ve got some great Christmas marketing ideas.
Take a deep breath and reinvigorate yourself by reflecting on what you have already accomplished. You are a published author. You are among the select few who had an idea, struggled through all the drafts and rewrites, and published a book. As a result, people around the world can now enjoy and benefit from your work. You changed lives. You made a difference.
With Christmas just around the corner, it’s time for you to profit from your effort, and there’s no time to waste. Christmas marketing ideas abound for some, but as an author they may seem a little far-fetched. But books make great gifts, everyone (including Santa) knows this! But how are you planning to sell your book this Christmas? If your plan is to simply get it into the Amazon bookstore and hope for the best, you are likely to be disappointed. It’s time to take things into your own hands.
Generate holiday sales
- Create an “About the Author” page on your website to act as your press kit. Share this page on all your social media pages.
- Write a press release about your book and send it to all local newspapers and radio stations. Include a link to your media kit with your press release.
- Contact your public library and offer to conduct a seminar on self-publishing or lead a discussion about your author experience.
- Contact your local bookstores and schedule a reading and book signing.
- Team up with other writers and sponsor a booth at local Christmas festivals in your area.
- Add a “buy now” button to your website and advertise Lulu’s weekly discounts to encourage holiday sales. Remember, your revenues are much higher from sales made in the Lulu bookstore.
- Offer personalized, signed copies of your book on your website and social media pages.
Business-savvy authors have learned that by taking advantage of Lulu’s weekly discounts – on top of their author discount – they can earn more revenue per book by selling to readers during events or directly from their website. This strategy requires you to dedicate time for packing and shipping orders, but it also allows you to sign and personalize books and add bonus items such as bookmarks and thank you notes to orders. These small personal touches create a connection between you and your readers, making them more likely to recommend your books to their friends.
Grow your audience
An added bonus to events and direct sales is that you can collect buyers’ email addresses to add to your mailing list allowing you to market directly to fans when your next book is published.
So, make a plan now to market your book locally and online, stock up*, and get ready for the best Christmas season yet.
*If you are planning to purchase more than 100 books, please contact our bulk sales desk for a custom quote. We may be able to help you save even more on your planned purchases.